Friday, November 24, 2006

part two

Continuing with my favorite books!


Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg. If you read way way way back to May in my archives, I was memorizing "Howl".


Never Mind the Pollacks by Neal Pollack. It is satirical genius. Neal Pollack places himself into music history. Hysterical.

Love, Janis by Laura Joplin. Actually, it's not the best Janis biography I've read, but it's the one I read the most. I was disappointed that Laura skimmed over Janis' sexual preferences...and misquoted "Howl"!

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I love true-crime and Truman Capote is such a great writer.


Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. So twisted.

Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber. Disturbing, but so fascinating.

Stupid White Men by Michael Moore.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. Okay, I'm not finished this one yet. It's hard. It's pretty much half in Russian and I read it with a translation guide, so it takes me about half an hour per chapter.

And Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar. These books are genius! My favorite characters are Rufus (beatnik!), Aaron, Vanessa's parents and that poet chick Dan fucked...Mystery Craze or something? I cannot recall.

Right now I'm reading Island by Aldous Huxley...very good.

2 comments:

Kit "Blanche Deveraux" said...

i'm getting never mind the pollacks right now per your request. anything with a sex pistols reference and satire is good enough for me! ugh, yeah, shelving pretty much sucks but i like the whole checking out books deal, though the 'real' librarians hardly ever let me. the link for the d. martin clip on youtube is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GydbEUAA5Mg

enjoy

Anonymous said...

ah, gossip girl, the series just about everyone is addicted to (although the last two have sucked because she no longer writes them. can you say 'ghost-writer'?)