Sunday, February 15, 2009

we know...which way you're going

10 Songs I'm Into at the Moment

Could you imagine how horrified you'd be to find out your man was cheating on you with Erykah Badu? Because it's pretty hard to compete with someone as awesome as her. Ms. Badu (I really feel like I should be addressing her with the upmost respect) spends the verses bragging to some poor woman how "you got a whole lot of junk up in yo trunk, but yo nigga thinks I'm live and I keep it crunk" and the choruses explaining "I don't want him, because of what he's doin to you".
"She Loves Everybody" by Chester French
I gotta thank Crazy Eddie for this one. He hooked me up with the recommendation and, though I rarely listen to this type of music, I checked it out - now I can't stop listening to it! Be sure to check out the video, it's fun stuff. I guess the only artist I listen to that I could compare it to are the Arctic Monkeys, though it's less...wordy and more electronic.
"SOS" by the Last Shadow Puppets
Speaking of the Arctic Monkeys..! Here's Alex Turner's side project band The Last Shadow Puppets doing a ridiculously kickass version of my favourite Rihanna song. It (predictably) takes on completely new vibes, and reaches new levels of awesomeness. Admit it, you're dying of curiousity!
"100 Yard Dash" by Raphael Saadiq
I really don't know much Raphael Saadiq, but I'm thinking I need to get on that. This song is so chill and smooth and feels so good.
"Sure Nuff N Yes I Do" by Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band
The version I've included in the playlist is a demo, so I'd advise clicking the above link to get the proper version. Captain Beefheart, if you haven't heard of him, is an old pal of Frank Zappa and if you're a fan of Zappa's freak rock or even just the blues, you'll be digging this one.
(And just to make you squirm with anticipation, I have a big big big announcement coming up soon very vaguely involving this song - and let me emphasize very vaguely)
"Kill the Lights" by Britney Spears
Oh, Britney - why you gots to be so great? Now that "If U Seek Amy" is getting all appreciated by regular folk and stuff, I gotta get a little more obscure. "Kill the Lights", also from Circus, is doing the job for now!
"Ghetto Life" by Rick James
Is it an accident that this song clocks in at exactly 4:20? No way - Rick knows what he's doing. I finally got my claws on Street Songs and this is my jam. Though I am a little disturbed by the image of him learning about sex from a "little cute girl" with pigtails. But shows what I know about ghetto life...
"All Your Love" by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
Couldn't find this one on imeem.com, but check it out on the link. Blues-y goodness featuring a young Eric Clapton and a pre-Fleetwood Mac John McVie.
"I Misjudged You" by Parliament
Lately I've been all about Parliament's ballads, because with P-Funk you know it's never going to be dull. This incredibly remorseful number is beautiful and humble, with great piano work and fantastic vocals (as usual).
"Brothers on the Slide" by Cymande
You know when you hear a song that you know you can't possibly have heard before but sounds like you've been listening to it your whole life? The song that gives you a feeling in your stomach that feels like it's already helped you through a lot in life? For me, those songs are Jefferson Airplane's "Today" and this super-chill funk number from Cymande.

Kick back, relax and dig:

february 15/09

26 comments:

this wheel's on fire said...

gotta love the b-sides! esp. from prince.
and you're right--if you look up charisma in the dictionary, you'd find mick & prince at the top of the list!
love john mayall's bluesbreakers!! perfect :D

Keith said...

Hey Molly. Great tunes to be into. I'm a big fan of Raphael Saadiq and Erykah Badu. I love that Chester French song. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

Eddie said...

Thanx for the luscious shout-out my dahling. Strangely I don't listen to that type of music either but when I heard that track, I fell over for it. Glad you enjoyed it also. Had to share it with my girl...

Rick James was and will always be the shizz. I remember listening to his music in the early 80's and my mom used to get upset because some of his lyrics were a bit too much for her 7-year-old. I was getting down to James as I stared at my gyrating hips in the mirror.

LMAO

James totally knew about the 420 thing. So cool that you noticed it.

Besos

twenty.seven.cents said...

I have to say I'm not a fan of The Last Shadow Puppets. I like the feel of their S.O.S. cover, but the singer other than Alex Turner is, to me, not as good as Alex. lol. and it ruined it a bit for me. oh wells.. lol.
excellent post. :)

Mimi said...

I always love your posts like these 'cause you have amazing taste in music!!

xo

w. said...

i love that chester french song, we had it playing @ work on one of our december cds :]

Irene said...

Great music

Baybay Mama said...

Great recs! I love john mayall's bluesbreakers. Great that you put a spotlight on them!

Maya said...

CIRCUS IS SO GOOD!
I'm going to see Britney in June, I'm too excited. I went to see her when I was 7 and it was amazing. She is my guilty pleasure, but really I'm not guilty at all. I adore her.

Cate said...

Oh, if my man was cheating on me with Erykah Badu, I wouldn't be angry at her, but at him ^^
She loves everybody is a relax song, in my opinion, a car-driving song :)
Oh, I've heard Rihanna's version of SOS but I never knew it was by Rihanna!
I love how they say "way" with a Cockney accent.
Cool that you like that Britney song too! I loved all her songs off Circus... almost, I think ^^
I love songs about ghetto life. I looked up this one's lyrics, and I like it. The song.

Maya said...

well the only people that will go with me are my mum and my brother and i'll be the only one who knows words and is truly interested. Oh well.

hy said...

i adore Erykah Badu, she is SO hot.
i like britneys latest scandalous song (if you seek....)
and captain beefheart is pretty awesome too!

xo
mj

jess said...

The Last Shadow puppets has to be the best band name. I love the parliament song.

ps I'm seeing them the 21st in baltimore Whenever I tell people at school I'm seeing parliament they think I'm talking about the law makers in England.

Anonymous said...

good songs! i've only heard of a few of these, but im sure the rest are great because of your great sense of music! thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! you made my day!
xoxo,
Micaela

Eyeliah said...

Great songs, its horrible that I like some of that new Britney album as well lol.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

You know they say there is a fine line between genius and insanity...could not Britney be proof of this?

discotheque confusion said...

Molly, so i'd say it;s been about 6704730272 years since I last read your blog?

And I've literally spent about an hour reading through your archives.. let the gushing ensue, for how could I forget how funny you are! It's not often people aren't chatting shit when they're talking about LOLing but I promise, I just gave the word new meaning. The rascism rating on the disney videos was genius.

I'm about to go to bed and shall spend the night dreaming about running around a field in 1968 with bare feet and a load of rad people playing a mash up of musical instruments. sighh. it's good to be back! ha.

Stevie xx

Allison said...

Erykah Badu is a fucking genius. Seriously, if my man cheated on me with her, and she just rubbed it in my face...I don't even know what I would do.

I am loving everything on this list - especially all the ones that I haven't heard of before!

Lexie said...

your entries make me so happy! JAMS JAMS JAMS

Anonymous said...

last shadow puppets are amazing, god i love you alex turner!

Lauren said...

Other than Britney and Erykah Badu, I can't honestly say I listen to any of those artists so I will definitely have to check them out! Thanks for posting this.

Kat said...

love the last shadow puppets and their version of sos is just crazy - love it!

ah love your unique taste in music:-)

Anonymous said...

i didn't actually like tlsp version of SOS the first time I heard it, but now i can't stop listening to it!

Jill said...

Loving Shadow Puppets!!

WAT said...

"Oh, Britney - why you gots to be so great?" LMAO!

I was listening to Brit's song RADAR at work the other day, and my co-worker was horrified! She trashed Spears left and right! I understand I suppose, but if only she knew how great Britney's last two albums have been!

YOU AND I KNOW RIGHT?! :)

Robert said...

Brothers on the Slide - love it!