Thursday, February 12, 2009

we'll tiptoe to the sun and do thangs i know you like

Everyone loves a good, classic love song, with all the "love's too weak to define just what you mean to me" and "if God one day struck me blind, your beauty I'd still see" that that entails. Those lyrics are beautiful...but let's face it, just a little bit cheesy (and besides, the best part of "Adore" is the killer vocal performance).

Personally, I find much more unconventionally romantic songs to be much more personal and engaging.
Here's some of the songs I would be honoured to have played at my wedding and, boys, how you can translate the sentiment behind them into a killer Valentine's Day card sure to woo the woman of your dreams.

Favourite Unconventionally Romantic Songs

"The Goose" by Parliament
Maybe it's not wisest to compare your special lady to a goose, a peanut machine, and eagle eyes for a mole. But then again, George Clinton was never really all about the "Oh, baby, I love you so much". Frankly, I'd be much happier if a guy said to me, "I'm as happy as a monkey with a peanut machine since I found you, but I don't need no nut machine cuz I'm nuts all over you."
"Prototype" by Outkast
If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you'll know that my love for this song runs very deep. Some girls might be offended by his suggestion that she is very possibly not his soulmate, but perhaps the prototype. Also, that he feels the need to add "...again" to his "I think I'm in love"s. I find its honesty stunningly endearing.

"I Love My Chick" by Busta Rhymes
Yeah, I know the original is "I Love My Bitch", but that one has completely different vibes and so this is one of the very rare times when I prefer the edited version of a song to the original. Here Busta praises his lady for wanting to "fuck in the clubs" and being "quick to do what she can, even if she had to get up and just lie on the stand." Among the other felonies he appreciates her committing for him is her willingness to "hold a stash for a fella" when he has to skip town.
Still, if a guy told me that his favourite thing about me was that I'm "the shit" and that I'm "truly thorough about the way that I be reppin' it hard", I would probably melt a little.

"If I Was Ur Girlfriend" by Prince
Undoubtedly one of the most stirringly beautiful love songs of all time, though the....phrasing of it all is undeniably quirky. Now, for those of you who couldn't figure it out, when Prince says "girlfriend" in this case he means "female best friend" - he's jealous of the closeness between between his girlfriend and her best friend. Even when taking this creative approach, Prince still knows exactly what women want to hear: "Would you run to me, if somebody hurt you, even if that somebody was me?" "Maybe you think I'm being a little self-centered but I want to be all the things you are to me" However, what strikes me most is "Can I dress you? I mean, help you pick out your clothes before we go out...I ain't saying you're helpless, but sometimes, sometimes those are the things that being in love's about"
My greatest dream would be to have a boyfriend that we could play dress-up and pick out our clothes together. Ahh, Prince.



unconventionally romantic

18 comments:

Maya said...

I would like you to know that I discovered Busta Rhymes through your hip hop video post. I love him now.

Lexie said...

can "sweet child of mine" count as an unconventional love song? if yes, that's mah fave.

Eddie said...

"I'm as happy as a monkey with a peanut machine since I found you, but I don't need no nut machine cuz I'm nuts all over you."

I need to use that.

Lurved your love song choices, but I have to admit when I upon Busta, I almost shot soda from my nose.

You're the best.

Besos

Allison said...

Molly, these are so cute in a completely different way than I would have thought! It's nice to see those unconventional love songs because the traditional ones are so overplayed this time of year :)

Anonymous said...

awww...this was such a sweet lovey dovey valentine's day post. i love it. did you do the happy valentine's day drawing things on your own?
xoxo,
Micaela

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

You know, that Outkast vampire song is the ultimate V-day tribute in my opinion...

Anonymous said...

Why are you so Amazing? No, really, how did it happen that you were born with such amazingness and the rest of us the lesser of.

this wheel's on fire said...

yes!! LOVE this post :D
prince kicks major ass!

Keith said...

Hey Molly. Wow! Another interesting post from you. I'll have to keep all this in mind the next time I'm trying to woo a girl. By the way, I do love If I Was Ur Girlfriend.

GraceFace said...

This post kicks ass...If I guy gave me any of those cards I would be very happy.

Baybay Mama said...

Love it. I love Busta.

Jill said...

You know Prince is my most favorite ever. "If I was your girlfriend" is my favorite song. It always gives me the shivers when I hear that line. I got the shivers reading it just now on your post!

this wheel's on fire said...

hahhahaha your comment was great...
i will adopt one day, but not soon and certainly not today! :D

Eyeliah said...

Lol at #1 considering what my hubby compares me to. My fav anti love song is So Fine, also guns and roses (copperoranges), but I think all my faves are them.

Mimi said...

Forgot how much I love Busta!

That's why I love ya Molls :]

Happy Valentines ♥

xo

twenty.seven.cents said...

Strangely enough, I would love someone to play 'Unintended' by Muse, to me, and it has been played for me, but then I realise that the lyrics are not all that nice... to me anyway.
'You should be the one I'll always love... I'll be there as soon as I can but I'm busy mending broken pieces of the life I had before...'
It's quite depressing isn't it? Oh wells. nice post! I've been missing a tad, but I've returned. :)
Cheers!

Sister Libby said...

Per usual, kudos on the interesting and original idea. And I agree about Prototype being romantic in an honest and slightly strange way. And you got me thinking about my favorite unconventional love songs. I think "never never" by The Libertines is perfect.

Sarah Von Bargen said...

Awesome as always, Molls.