Thursday, March 25, 2010

are you putting us under? cuz we can't take our eyes off your t-shirt and ties combination

When I'm in a tough spot, I like to curl up with mtv.ca (Yes, we have an MTV Canada; "They just can't seem to get anything right up there, can they?" -Gavin Volure) and enjoy a little trashy reality TV. But since "16 & Pregnant" only comes out once a week, sometimes in cases of extra apathy, I have to venture out of my usual teen-mom canon and experiment with other MTV reality shows.

Yeah, I really should be reading.
A book, even.
Anyway, just now I decided to try watching My Life as Liz, as it seemed to at least be more interesting than The Hills (though, really, what isn't?)

I actually had to stop watching partway through because I was filled with such annoyance that I felt a rant coming on...and what better place to pour out my feelings than on my very own blog - and I'm sure Liz has one of her own because she is just so delightfully alternative.
I have never met the girl, so I cannot claim to have a problem with her but I cannot stand her phenomenally contrived persona. I guess she's supposed to be the Paramore crowd's answer to Lauren Conrad, but in this day and age, the unnatural-hair-colour-sportin', eye rollin', handheld-video-camera-wieldin', awkward-guy-friend-having, sarcastic "rebel" has become as obnoxious a stereotype as the bottle blond cheerleader type. Quirkiness is less endearing when it's as forced as this.

And I can't help but feel a bit of affection for Liz's foil character, the "Barbie" Taylor Terry. In the first episode, when she passive-aggressively confronts Liz's downright rude disdain for her with a "Like, what's the stereotype that, like, you think that people would, like, put me in?" (cue Liz's ironic glace into the camera - Taylor shows her who's the real bitch, matching her look with an aggressive glare) She obviously at least has a sense of humour about herself, filming a cutesy montage of her as a Barbie doll. In an online profile, she states "I hate girls with baby voices", "I eat like a man" and "I don't like the colour pink" - this girl's alright.

Now, bear in mind, this is mostly a snap judgement from seeing half of the first episode. However, one of my pet peeves are people who blanketly judge all religious people for being judgmental, based on a few extremists, and I feel that in a way this is what Liz does. She whines and whines about how people in her town judge anyone for being different, but all she does is judge other people. She thinks she's so superior to Taylor Terry and her clique just because she stopped trying to be like them - which, she indicates in the beginning of the episode, she only did because her former friends shunned her. Her "epiphany" was practically forced onto her by the very people she so bitterly hates...but it's not personal or anything.
I know what you're thinking: Holy crow, (yeah, I know you say "Holy crow", don't fight it) this chick (meaning ME) is a triple hypocrite - she's judging Liz for judging other people for judging.
The difference? I'm not criticizing Liz the person, but Liz the MTV character. And once you're an MTV character, you're opening yourself up to this kind of thing: blogs are the heart and soul of television these days.
Actually, I just un-paused it for a minute, and must give Liz major props for admitting that Taylor Terry "isn't that bad". Baby steps...
The fact that this is on MTV makes it nearly impossible for me to believe that Liz is any more genuine than Heidi Montag's face (and I am instantly embarassed by the laziness of that analogy) - how did a girl like this get a TV show anyway?
Because she wanted to be on MTV. So the difference between Liz and The Hills ladies (whom, for the record, I do find 10 times more despicable than Liz, despite the rest of this sentence)? Those blondies are at least honest about their shallowness.

21 comments:

Hannah said...

i've heard of this show and thought it sounded a little more interesting than the hills but i agree that the rebel stereotype can be so much more irritating than the "blonde bimbo"...

Cafe Fashionista said...

I love you for this! I have absolutely no clue what "My Life As Liz" is. I've never seen it; but it sounds slightly interesting. I guess I've just been trying to figure out whether it's a reality show or some sort of sitcom...it sounds as if it's a bit of both. :/

Lexie said...

sometimes i really feel like i should get cable. i miss out on so much great pop culture.

Eddie said...

Oh damn... it's been forever since we've made contact my darling dear. Almost altogether gave up on blogging as I've lost complete interest in the medium...

Your recent comment on my blog made me reminisce and remember the good times between our back and forth.

Heck, who knows... maybe I'll become inspired again and hop back on the blogging train of madness. But for now, all I leave you with is a HUGE BESITO and a virtual embrace. Miss you dearly Molly lurve...

Eddie

GraceFace said...

I really
really
really
don't like pretentious indie kids like this girl seems to be.

Jaclyn said...

I love 16 and Pregnant, but actually. Then I watched Teen Mom, now I'm hooked. The trashier the better... right?
I saw My Life as Liz one day after 16 and Pregnant and I had to turn it off half way through because I was like this is not for real. It seemed forced and fake on so many levels and the acting (can I call it acting?) was just so bad. It was one of those I need to stop watching this but I can't stop watching it because its so bad, but not in an its so bad its good way. I don't think I'm making sense anymore. To summarize, yes I am summarizing a comment, I agree with your post. Now wasn't that easy, I should have started with that.
Belle

Anonymous said...

Wait, is it supposed to be a reality show? I thought it was like... a reenactment or something. Based on like, her diary or some shit. Probably her diary is a marbled-cover composition notebook.

That bitch probably thinks she's Harriet the Spy or some shit. NO WAY, LIZ. NO WAY.

The only Liz my tivo has room for is Liz Lemon. And that's a FACT.

Sister Libby said...

MAN! How irritating are special different people?

Sooooo I got a new computer, so I shall be reading the blog and rating your lovely shirt on safeasmilk (which fits quite well).

I also hate girls with baby voices, so...yes.

Sadako said...

Haven't seen this show yet, but I really enjoyed this post! This girl looks ridic!

jess said...

I can't figure out wether or not I like this show. I also can't figure out if its a reality show. It is kind of interesting though.

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

I heard of the show, but since I had no idea who "Liz" was, I watched the Hills. LOL.

She does have the perfect shade of red lips though.

Amber
ambersmouthwash

Keith said...

Hello. I hope this finds you doing well. I've been on a blogging hiatus since the beginning of the year, so it's been quite some time since I've been around to visit some blogs. I'm back from my break now. I wanted to make sure to visit your blog. I enjoyed checking out the latest posts on your blog. Great job. I'm back blogging now myself. I hope you'll take a look at what I'm doing. Thanks. Take care. Have a great week.

Sister Libby said...

Molly, I just read about six pages of your archives. The one post with sayings that are clever and useful, that's some seriously good shit! I miss your blog, yo!

Isabel said...

Ewww, I've never heard of this show but it sounds horrible! Off to go cringe at the first episode...

Mimi said...

Hi Molly! I've missed you and your delicious blog!

I have to say I agree... This show is supposed to be based here in my homestate of Tx and I think it's a little... Staged.

Plus the characters are the typical ones, the rebel outsider against the blonde clique... Yada yada yada. We've seen/heard it before.

I completely agree I get annoyed watching it.

Hope all is well, sending my love

xo xo

SBG said...

Lol i agree. mtv would try to make a show like this. it's just one extreme or another!

sarissweetlife.blogspot.com

Perth Lawyers said...

Your T shirt with your lips color makes you so fresh and young..love love

Mary Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Great blog have no idea about this Liz person tho :P

http://sunglassesandhandbags.blogspot.com/

ivy said...

This was so cool. Your review. Miss you.

Gina said...

Hi Molly, Gina here. We were ancient blogging bodies, I don't know if you'll remember me! It's so lovely to see you still have the same blog even though it's developed somewhat - I had to think for ages before I could remember the name to google - knew it was something Ginsbergy but couldnt for the life of me remember what! Anyway as for the rebel stereotype if anything I think it's more annoying than the blonde bimbo - it's such an en vogue persona thanks to all the pseudo rock chicks out there that it's lost all edgy credential. FAIL! nice post x