Sunday, December 20, 2009

he's a god, he's a man, he's a ghost, he's a guru

God, it's good to be back. I almost stumbled into an ill-timed bought of writer's block but luckily Lexie was to the resue, demanding "a list of your ten fave albums/singles/artists/however you want to post this from 2009".
Do-able!

I'm not sure if she means my favourite albums/singles/artists prominent in 2009, or just the songs I was most into in 2009. The is latter is way too hard so behold, in no particular order:

My Top 10 Favourite Albums/Singles/Artists of 2009




"Paparazzi" by Lady Gaga (video)
My ''relationship'', if you will, with Lady Gaga seems to be repetitive. I hear her new single and think "Eh, not quite on par with the last one". Then I see the video and enjoy it so ferociously that my obsessive YouTube viewings of it cause me to fall in love with the song. The best of her videos? "Paparazzi". It reminds me of a Jacqueline Susann novel (specifically Once Is Not Enough). Glamour on an extreme, histrionic level. The wheelchair and neckbrace were truly the icing on the cake.




"LoveSexMagic" by Ciara (song & video)
I don't know what it is, but I've always had a strong love for Ciara. Perhaps it's that her song "Promise" is one of the most beautiful Prince rip-offs I've ever heard, but I'm always interested in her new single. This one did not disappoint (as so, so many have). And, as much as I can't stand Justin Timberlake's cocky attitude, the video is killer too. I'm a sucker for a good afro.




"For Your Sorrow" by Big Boi feat. George Clinton and Too Short (song)
When I hear there's an OutKast song featuring George Clinton, you'd practically need industrial strength bungee cords and about three ounces of strategically placed SuperGlue (use your imagination) to hold me back. This one did not disappoint (besides its lack of Andre). From George's opening wheeze of "This is the dope on dope, smoke but don't choke on, its the shit. Plenty bloody junkies have been known to croak, but let's still toke up, it's the bomb" (I'm just guessing here...it is George, afterall) to Big Boi's "Stank you very much", this song is the sleazy Parliakastament Thang we've all come to know and love....from their one other collaboration.


This Is It by Michael Jackson (movie)
I'll say it flat-out ("with love", as MJ would say): the song blew. It is truly tragic that Michael Jackson's final single would be so mediocre. And that's the last I'm going to say of it, because out of extreme respect for Michael, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist. The film, however, was fantastic. Tasteful, loving and revealing, it shows Michael how we should remember him: as a musician through and through. It is astounding and fascinating to watch him direct the musicians. He just knows music so well. For me, its still a toss-up between Michael and Prince as to the greatest performer of all time, but to anybody who enjoys pop music, this documentry will not disappoint.




"D.O.A." by Jay-Z (song)
2009 was also the year that I fell in love with Jay-Z and, despite my preference for his first album Reasonable Doubt, this cut proved he still got it.
"This ain't a number one record...this is practically assault with a deadly weapon"


"Red Right Hand" by the Arctic Monkeys (song)
I still haven't copped Humbug (though Christmas is tomorrow...) but I've been quite impressed with the Arctic Monkeys' new-ish sound. "Crying Lightning" was awesome too, but I think I slightly preferred this one.


"Honey" by Erykah Badu (song & video)
I know I've raved about this gorgeous soul song before, but you really must see the insidious and oh-so-clever video. You know 00:51 is my favourite moment. (If you didn't catch the reference, check it)


"3" by Britney Spears (song)
Ever since I got into Britney Spears a couple years ago (and that was a weird enough adjustment in itself), I've felt like the holiday season was truly her time. The past two Christmases my sister's present to me was her new album. Unfortunately, her "new" album this year is a greatest hits compilation, so I just went straight for the filthy single.
It's about threesomes, nuff said.


"Rockin' That Shit" by The-Dream (song)
I flat-out love this Prince rip-off. The explicit version is necessary, even though I adore the word "thang", because the clean version cuts out "bra". What fresh hell...?


"Drink in My Cup" by Electrik Red (video)
Electrik Red is to The-Dream what Vanity 6 were to Prince (on a much, much smaller scale of course), so you know I was intrigued. Most of their shit didn't blow me away, but I cannot get enough of the divine trashiness of this video. Why am I not getting into barfights and stealing chicken drumsticks from the kitchen? Oh yeah, cuz I'm not old enough to get into bars yet.
Still, that is no excuse. Bathroom stall dance sesh in T-minus, 5, 4, 3...

21 comments:

Hannah said...

amazing mix! i have the same problem with lady gaga - more often than not her songs just sound like pure pop but then i watch the videos and my mind is totally taken aback! x

Cafe Fashionista said...

Oh Molly this is such a fabulous post! I absolutely love the music and videos you featured on this list - especially Lady Gaga. I always found the video for Paparazzi to be slightly disturbing, yet incredibly inventive at the very same time.

Happy holidays!! :)

jess said...

Oh it's great to see you blogging again. I love Lady Gaga.
Happy Holidays.

Sophia said...

this post is the perfect procrastination tool for anyone who really, really, really doesn't want to write their application essays for summer travel program thingies right now. thanks :)
and keep an eye out for my new blog, which i'm gonna put up as soon as my camera arrives in the mail!

I V Y said...

omg lady gaga is god.

Keith said...

Happy New Year! I hope you've been having a great holiday season. Mine has been wonderful except for my cable modem dying on me. I just did a new post with a big announcement in it. I hope you'll check it out. Thanks. Take care. Have a fantastic holiday weekend. Cheers!

GraceFace said...

I'm exactly the same about Lady Gaga...her videos are just too damn good to let me dislike the songs...

Style Spot said...

I love all of your choices, Molly! D.O.A is one of my favourite songs by Jay-Z too. I recently saw him live and it was beyond incredible. He opened with D.O.A..spectacular! And Happy New Year, I hope it will be a wonderful year for you xx

Lexie said...

yeeeeahhhh! what a list!

"poker face" is my fave lady gaga of the year. especially the accoustic version. ok, mostly i just like the line "bluffin with my muffin."

this wheel's on fire said...

i love gaga, she's a vision. at first i thought she was just another pop tart, but she's very talented. she can actually sing! i love her stripped down versions of her songs when she does them with just piano too. happy new year!

Phie Preston said...

Great variety of music, Lady Gaga, love her or hate her, truly is inventive! I hope you can find the time to visit The Fashion Smoke...

http/thefashionsmoke.com

Eyeliah said...

thanks for the songs you were my playlist for the last . :-)

Dylana Suarez said...

Lovely blog!


colormenana.blogspot.com

Sophia said...

itsdress-uptime.blogspot.com

checkcheckcheckitoutt

Flavia Flanders said...

Hi!
Sorry to bother I'm just stoping by to tell you that I've changed the address of my blog, now it's http://youcancallmeflanders.blogspot.com
Hope you can visit someday.
Bests,
Flavia M.

It's Always Sassy In Philadelphia said...

I LOVE Erykah's "honey". I'm huge fan of baduizm and mamas gun! i bet you are!

Taru Tuomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sister Libby said...

I am studying Allen Ginsberg, and think of you everyyyy time I read HOWL. Just thought you should know. And I too love Paparazzi so so so much. And I'm thinking of purchasing some things at your shop! I made a new years resolution to buy only second hand for the next year (besides underwear....and shoes).

Sadako said...

Felt the same way about MJ and the last single. With love, again. It's hard to live up to the other stuff...

Gio Goi Hoodies said...

Great songs! Love the videos!

enterrement de vie de célibataire said...

Très bon choix, j'aime presque toutes les vidéos, bien sélectionnées en tout cas.

Séréna